Lessons & Resources
School to Farm Lessons
Find a variety of lessons, videos and activities to enhance the learning opportunities of the School to Farm field trips. Find topics such as dairy, fiber, poultry, maple and more, all targeted towards fourth grade students.
Find a list of storybooks available for loan with associated lesson plans and activities.
Annual Agricultural Literacy Program
Maple Syrup from the Sugarhouse
Maple Syrup from the Sugarhouse by Laurie Lazzaro Knowlton follows Kelsey, her family and her friends as they collect sap and turn it into maple syrup. A heartwarming story infused with informative descriptions is a delight for the reader. The book and supporting materials will be available in January 2019.
Seed Soil Sun
Appropriate for grades K-4, this book uses wonderful photographs to explore soil, follow germination, look at composting, touch on photosynthesis and discovers the edible parts of a plant.
This delightfully illustrated book is appropriate for grades K-4. Students will discover the history, botany, production and uses of corn.
How Do Apples Grow?
Appropriate for grades K-4, students will explore how an apple grows from bud to flower to fruit, discover if they have ever eaten part of a flower and take a look at different varieties.
Who Grew My Soup?
Students will enjoy this delightful tale of a young boy exploring exactly what his mother put in his vegetable soup while learning about local agriculture.
- Christmas Trees
- Corn High school students can learn about corn uses, corn production, corn breeding and the biology of corn.
- School Gardens Links to a variety of resources offering information on creating a school garden and a variety of curriculum ideas
- Ag Mags Colorful 4-page magazines for kids, each focused on a different agricultural topic
- Journey2050 An online virtual simulation that explores world food sustainability. Using an inquiry based approach the program encourages students to make decisions and adjust them as they see their impact on society, the environment and the economy at a local and global scale. Includes educational videos and supplemental lessons.
- My American Farm Online games, lesson plans and activities focused on food, fun and farming
- Project Food, Land and People Purchase 55 lessons for Pre-K through 12th which use multiple disciplines to discover our food sources, learn about their by-products and how to make good choices as a consumer.
- Other Maple Syrup Resources
- Tapping Into Maple Tradition Tapping into Maple Tradition digs deeper into maple sugar production to uncover a wide variety of core academic concepts. Botany, chemistry, history, economics, math, nutrition, language arts and engineering are all key components. "Tapping Into Maple Tradition" enhances these educational areas with hands-on, STEM focused activities reinforcing the learning process.
- Growing a Nation, The Story of American Agriculture This high school program uses innovative technology to teach about agricultural innovations, research and inventions that have positively changed and influenced the lives of Americans from 1600 to 2000.
- Earth Day & Environmental Activities A compilation of 40 great environmental activities and lessons that celebrate the planet Earth including soil, water, recycling, renewable energy, habitats and more.
- Energy Curriculum for Middle School and High School.
- Invasive Forest Pests